A total of 307 consecutive patients with symptomatic gallstones were admitted for cholecystectomy. Two hundred seventy patients [88%] were considered suitable for laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
Forty-two of these [17%] were admitted on an emergency basis. The procedure was accomplished successfully in 246 patients [91%] , while in the remaining 24 patients [9%] , the attempt had to be abandoned and converted to open cholecystectomy. Postoperative complications, mostly minor, occurred in 22 patients [9%] . Suspected common bile duct stones were treated with endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography [ERCP] prior to surgery. The mean operative time was 82 minutes and 70% of the patients were discharged home within 48 hours after surgery and more than 90% were sent home by the third postoperative day. The results suggest that laparoscopic cholecystectomy is feasible for the majority of patients with symptomatic gallstones
Adnan B. Mofti ,
Laparoscopic cholecystectomy: the first year experience,
Ann. Saudi Med. 1994;
33-6 Views : 0